Industrial Studies – Project
Manufacturing Processes – Glass-Fibre Composite Materials
Overview and marking guide
Introduction and Design Brief. How to present the project, Selection of groups. Project rationale. Materials Selection - why move to GFRP over traditional design. What are the significant steps in manufacture? Solid modelling to final product.
Discuss why chop strand glass fibre spray lay-up over other techniques. What is a typical factory layout to manufacture GFRP? Full manufacturing path – equipment requirements.
ASTM standards. Discuss ASTM D790 and ASTM 2584. How it would be typical for testing to occur as a confirmation and QA over life of project
Testing to determine the physical and mechanical properties of the composite. Designing the mould. Laying up parts. Delivery of parts to clients
MSDS, OH&S, Sustainability and waste disposal.
Finalisation of project. Working on Project or consultation/guidance in classroom
Working on Project or consultation/guidance in classroom and project submission
- It has been decided to change the body from steel press panels traditionally spot welded together to GFRP - Materials
- Rationale for this change – advances/developments from traditional manufacturing methods – sustainability in aerodynamics/fuel efficiency/corrosion resistance etc.
- How to make the mould, assemble a manufacturing team and how to purchase the materials needed.
- How the process works – full manufacturing path
- Discuss OH&S, MSDS requirements to
- Discuss 3D modelling of this and type drawing requirements
- Introduce ASTM standards for materials testing of the final product – Flexural Testing, Theoretical strength determination using rule of mixtures
- Sustainability, environmental requirements, waste disposal – local council/land fill regulations
- Delivery of goods to clients
代写MIET2137 Industrial Studies Project
Marking guide – Pages with 12 point text, 25 mm margins - Not including diagrams.
Also refer to guide for writing technical reports as found on Blackboard.
1. Introduction to composites (types, materials used) and manufacturing summary – 4-5 pages 10%
2. Justification for this process compared to traditional manufacturing paths – 2-3 pages - 5%
3. What would be the design process? 3-4 pages 10%
4. Software simulation and FEA design – 1-2 pages 10%
5. Production plant, equipment and resources – 7-8 pages 15%
6. Manufacturing methods and materials used, properties and specifications – 8-10 pages 15%
7. Quality control – testing to ASTM standards discussion – 5-6 pages 15%
8. MSDS, OH&S Sustainability and waste management – 4-5 pages 15%
9. Conclusion - 1 page 5%
All these points must be discussed.
Nominally 50 pages A4, 12 point single spacing plus figures, tables and other diagrams.
The following references are as a minimum: You may use as many as you need.
This report will be uploaded to Blackboard through Turnitin. No more than 15% similarity index will be permitted. Only one report is required per group to be uploaded.
All members of the team are to receive the same result. It is up to you to manage your team such that a fair and equitable division of labour exists.
It is your responsibility to have all the project team members names on the cover with student numbers in order to receive an assessment.
Sustainability, environmental requirements, waste disposal, OH&S, MSDS.
It is every engineer’s responsibility to consider and implement sustainability considerations into every manufacturing project.
- State the reference Materials Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) used, including the manufacturer details.
Don’t use these ones, find others.
- OH&S considerations – safe working with fibreglass
· How are you, as the engineer in charge, supposed to deal with this information?
· Where do you store it?
· How does the team who works with this material understand what is inside the documentation?
· Who implements it?
· What are some of the legal implications?
· What are the PPE requirements?
- How should the waste materials from this practical be safely disposed of? Find the correct method based on OH&S and quote the reference. Look at your local council waste disposal regulations.
- State any environmental and/or sustainability issues in manufacturing with fiberglass composite materials for this application (truck bonnets) compared to traditional methods using pressed sheet steel.
In your answers, consider the following points:
· Energy and water
· Ecology, ecosystems and biodiversity
· Pollution and waste
· Resource efficiency
· Carbon footprint
· Corporate responsibility
· Health and wellbeing, OH&S
代写MIET2137 Industrial Studies Project